Far Too Cute: Musings about fashion and beauty

A blog all about covetable, charming, and far too cute fashion, beauty products, and accessories in Boston and beyond. See my vintage store at www.Far2Cute.com!

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm back....

Not even a "wicked bad" sunburn, some excruciating blisters and a bunch of grass stains on my new skirt could get me down…the Brimfield fair was an absolute success! After six hours of walking, shopping and meeting with some of the loveliest antique collectors in the country, both my vintage partner-in-crime and I returned to Boston loaded up with all sorts of lovelies.

It was an overwhelming experience to say the least-- So many things to see, touch, and talk about. We’re talking everything from Parisian chandeliers to Tibetan statues. The prices were very fair and bartering was definitely encouraged.

I scored the coolest set of vintage Paisley print tea cups and saucers from England. I think they are probably from the late 60’s early 70’s and will look very retro cool mixed and matched with my collection of black and white vintage plates and bowls. I also found this amazing chair from the 1930’s. I love the ornate flower design. The velvet fabric on the chair was once a deep purple, and I am sure looked FABULOUS against the yellow wood. I am trying to figure out a way to restore that shade to the fabric. Has anyone ever used fabric paint on velvet before? Does it work? I really don’t want the paint to crack and split once applied. I loved to hear any suggestions.


Finally, here are just a few pictures from the fair!




1. Porcelain display hands












2. Buddha heads












3. Shoppers searching for costume jewelry.
















3. Floral vintage tea cups

7 Comments:

Blogger kigogal said...

Ewwwwww, how fun! There was a semi-huge antique show here in Portland, OR this weekend, but I was just too lazy and tired to go.

As for fabric paint on velvet, I tried it once and it was disastrous. I used a fabric sizing stuff that was supposed to make the fabric paint not make the velvet all hard and cracky, but didn't work. I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but it was just a humongous oopsie. Maybe you could make friends with an upholsterer or trade out some kind of fabric dye-ing or something? I ended up having to re-cover my chair. :-(

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Jessica said...

How often do they have this fair? I might have to go up soon because your pictures and finds are amazing.

I love the glove hands and all those multiple objects, I am completely jealous of your experience. Although we have that in NYC, I feel like it is very rare to find a good deal. Most of the time you feel like you are being completely ripped off.

I am ectastic for my eames rocking chair I got for free, now that made my weekend.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous risa said...

i have a chair quite similar to that one that i found in ny. the flower design on top is different but the color of the wood is the same and it is purple. the combo is lovely. it is currently bubblewrapped in my parents basement, but i'll try to get a photo for you.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Beth said...

i;m very jealous -- this looks fantastic! great pics!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

What an amazing weekend! And I love your chair. I need to visit this fair myself, I'm not far away in hot and humid NYC!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Dinah said...

Have you thought of a restoration dry-cleaning services? You can always go to a antique shop and see if they know someone or a method that can help you out. I love the tea sets so much!

6:33 AM  
Blogger My Marrakech said...

I bought 12 of those porcelain hands (glove molds) this Fall. It's obsessive I know but I thought they would great as a collection!

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home